Legal Compliance & Policy
Green Business & Support
OnGreen General Counsel
OnGreen, the global clearinghouse and marketplace for clean technologies, is looking for the General Counsel to end all General Counsels. A General Counsel who crushes other General Counsels like John Wooden used to crush the rest of the NCAA.
As covered in TechCrunch, VentureBeat and other top publications, OnGreen is a venture-backed, White House-cited, LA-based, cricket-playing, overworking, Turntable.fm-addicted start-up that drives partners and capital to the most promising clean technologies and companies globally and transforms today’s environmental challenges into future economic advancement. OnGreen also has offices in Shanghai, and our initial round of funding came from China.
We are currently seeking a highly motivated, accomplished attorney with contract, securities, employment, ecommerce, regulatory, and compliance experience. As a rapidly-growing international business, we are facing new challenges at every turn. We want a thought partner riding shotgun as we blaze those trails.
- Work directly with business counterparts, identify legal risks and issues raised in contractual pursuits and on-going programs and develop risk mitigation strategies, as appropriate.
- Provide legal advice on terms and conditions for contracts, investments, joint ventures and other business arrangements for both domestic and international business
- Continually advise on legal guidelines around company’s web site, events and marketing.
- Maintain legal expertise in the areas of securities, crowdsourcing, online commerce, cross-border investments and international employment.
- Manage outside counsel to budget.
- Participate in employment-related issues to the extent they involve, or threaten to involve litigation, and assist human resources department in any pending matters
- Take a leading role in corporate legal and policy compliance in a wide variety of areas, including securities brokering.
The position will report to the COO of the company.
- Juris Doctor with excellent academics
- Admissions to State Bar with license to practice in the State of California
- At least 4 years experience in a prominent law firm securities, transactions or employment department and/or in-house legal department
- Experience with proceedings before State and Federal Courts in a wide variety of litigation matters, including business contracts, employment matters, e-commerce, and the protection of intellectual property.
- Strong attention to detail, balanced by ability to see the big picture
- A business-focused approach to litigation, including the ability to quickly assess risk and present business analysis to litigation strategy
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment with highly motivated (often crazed) team members
- Ability to perform in a self-managed environment – must be a self-starter
- Superior organizational skills
- Enjoys the business end of legal matters and takes a holistic perspective (if that’s not too hippie a term)
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and with shifting priorities; ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent time management skills
- Responsive, judicious, and independent thinker
- Multilingual is a plus (esp. Mandarin)
- Must be full-time and work from LA office. No relocation offered.
Compensation: salary + stock options, based on experience
If you are interested, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Resume or OnGreen profile URL (recommended: Create your free profile here: http://www.ongreen.com/user/join )
- Cover letter/message
- Work samples (if relevant)
- List of Top 5 favorite bands of all time
More about the company:
OnGreen is a online/offline network connecting the worlds best cleantech innovators with investors and partners from around the world. We use our website, personal network and matching events to bring together key players in the fragmented global Green Economy.
The process starts with our website, www.ongreen.com, where companies post standardized profiles and funding requests and then network with investors, experts and other industry leaders who can help them grow their business. We have organized the Green Economy into 240 specific categories, so we are able to match members based on their particular niche and interests.
We’ve made good progress since launching in July 2010. Here are some key success metrics.
- 300+ companies posting funding requests from 35 countries.
- 70,000 Cleantech patents categorized and searchable in our database.
- US$2.2 billion in total funding requests.
- 18,000 unique visitors per month.
- 50% investor contact rate – 2-3 contacts per company.
- 10 demo and /or matching events in last 12 months.
- First 2-3 fundings expected by November.
We work with federal and local governments to facilitate Cleantech development.
- In June 2011 U.S. President Obama’s Office of Science and Technology cited OnGreen for “accelerating innovation.”
- In the U.S., we’ve hosted events with everyone from the City of Los Angeles to the US Patent & Trademark Office.
- In China, we’re partners with the Department of Commerce of Jiangsu, China’s 2nd-wealthiest province, as well as with three of the leading technology parks around Shanghai.
Helped by our Shanghai-based investors, we have established OnGreen as a bridge between Chinese capital and foreign (mainly U.S.) innovation. Recent highlights:
- ·August 2011: Led 19 U.S., Canadian and European entrepreneurs on China Capital Roadshow, matching them with 60+ potential investors and partners in Shanghai, Nanjing and Suzhou. 1 partner MOU so far, 4-5 pending.
- May: OnGreen start-ups met in 1:1 matching sessions with investors from Jiangsu province and Hong Kong in Boston and Los Angeles.
- April: several OnGreen start-ups pitched a delegation of investors from the Zhejiang province at UCLA’s Office of Intellectual Property.
- March: investors from Jiangsu province viewed demos by start-ups at OnGreen’s launch party at the Renaissance Hotel in Hollywood.
- February: OnGreen opened a Shanghai office and hosted a cleantech networking event with 110 entrepreneurs, investors and other industry stakeholders.