OnGreen Community Manager
OnGreen, the global clearinghouse and marketplace for clean technologies, is looking for a nurturing-yet-authoritarian, passionate-yet-pragmatic Community Manager to help build the world’s most useful cleantech site.
As covered in TechCrunch, VentureBeat and other top magazines, OnGreen is a venture-backed, White House-recognized, LA-based, cricket-playing, overworking, Turntable.fm-blasting start-up that drives partners and capital to the most promising clean technologies and companies worldwide, transforming today’s environmental challenges into future economic advancement. OnGreen also has offices in Shanghai.
We are currently expanding the social aspect of OnGreen.com to increase interactions between members -- all with the goal of creating actionable content and productive relationships. The Community Manager will facilitate those interactions by seeding discussions, keeping threads on topic, recruiting community leaders and embedding OnGreen in the online cleantech ecosphere.
The position will report to the President of the company.
- This role will work closely with a team of people to ensure OnGreen has a world class community management program including website & social network presence.
- Cultivate user-generated content that helps members to find answers to their questions and to evaluate potential investments and partnerships.
- Serve as a prominent online voice for us online within our own websites and via social media outlets like Youtube, Facebook and Twitter.
- Be the community spokesperson to represent the company in online forums, community posts and blogs to provide updates and answer company related questions
- Establish relationships with community members; provide leadership to motivate and maximize the impact of online community's efforts
- Manage community portion of website, including site management, content plans, vendor relations, and publisher coordination
- Lead community initiatives around our start-up companies, potentially doing interviews with entrepreneurs, investors and experts for publication to the community
- Monitor the community to identify, troubleshoot and resolve issues as well as collect feedback for future site updates, content, and fixes
- Lead viral initiatives and identify promotional opportunities
- Participate in creating the online community plan, including a budget
- Partner with PR and Marketing to keep the online community up to date and active by monitoring forums and adding relevant and exciting content on a frequent basis
- Respond to e-mails and discussion boards
- Participate in social networking sites - Tweet and create stories targeted toward parents
- Contribute to a site blog on a regular basis.
- Track and report on community success metrics
- 3+ years proven experience planning, starting, cultivating and managing successful online communities
- A passion for -- and expertise in -- cleantech and sustainable business
- Be self-sufficient and self-motivated
- Possess excellent written communication skills
- Be very familiar with the tools of communication, from forums, to blogs, to podcasts, to twitter, and then understand the language and jargon that is used in the community
- Worked in a start-up environment.
- Have created some significant online content of your own
- Stay up to date on new social media tools, best practices and how other organizations and companies are using them
- Experience liaising with Marketing, PR and Legal teams
- Capable of distilling mass feedback into actionable tasks
- Highly knowledgeable in current tools for web site development and maintenance including PHP and Drupal; be proficient using Microsoft Word, Desktop publishing software, PhotoShop, HTML.
- Capable of creating audio/video materials a plus
- Open source experience (PHP, Linux/BSD) a plus
- Mandarin language a plus
- Must be full-time and work from LA office. No relocation offered.
- Strong analytic skills to validate strong instincts.
- Humility and sense of humor.
- Infectious energy and enthusiasm.
Compensation: salary + stock options, based on experience
If you are interested, please send an email to: email@example.com with the following:
- Resume or OnGreen profile URL (recommended: Create your free profile here: http://www.ongreen.com/user/join )
- Cover letter/message
- Links to communities you’ve built and managed (include your username)
- List of Top 5 favorite bands of all time
More about the company:
OnGreen is an online/offline network connecting the world’s best cleantech innovators with investors and partners from around the world. We use our website, personal network and matching events to bring together key players in the fragmented global green economy.
The process starts with our website, www.ongreen.com, where companies post standardized profiles and funding requests and then network with investors, experts and other industry leaders who can help them grow their business. We have organized the Green Economy into 240 specific categories, so we are able to match members based on their particular niche and interests.
We’ve made good progress since launching in July 2010. Here are some key success metrics.
- 300+ companies posting funding requests from 35 countries.
- 80,000 cleantech patents categorized and searchable in our database.
- $2.2 billion in total funding requests.
- 18,000 unique visitors per month.
- 50% investor contact rate – 2-3 contacts per company.
- 10 demo and/or matching events in last 12 months.
- First 2-3 fundings expected by November.
We work with federal and local governments to facilitate cleantech development.
- In June 2011 President Obama’s Office of Science and Technology praised OnGreen for “accelerating innovation.”
- In the U.S., we’ve hosted events with everyone from the City of Los Angeles to the US Patent & Trademark Office.
- In China, we’re partners with the Department of Commerce of Jiangsu, China’s 2nd-wealthiest province, as well as with three of the leading technology parks around Shanghai.
Helped by our Shanghai-based investors, we have established OnGreen as a bridge between Chinese capital and foreign (mainly U.S.) innovation. Recent highlights:
- August 2011: Led 19 American, Canadian and European entrepreneurs on China Capital Roadshow, matching them with 60+ potential investors and partners in Shanghai, Nanjing and Suzhou. 1 partner MOU so far, 4-5 pending.
- May: OnGreen start-ups met in 1:1 matching sessions with investors from Jiangsu province and Hong Kong in Boston and Los Angeles.
- April: Several OnGreen start-ups pitched a delegation of investors from the Zhejiang province at UCLA’s Office of Intellectual Property.
- March: Investors from Jiangsu province viewed demos by start-ups at OnGreen’s launch party at the Renaissance Hotel in Hollywood.